16th Bibliotheca Baltica International Symposium “Past, Present and Future of the Shared Cultural Heritage in the Baltic Sea Region“
Date: 17th – 18th October 2024
Location: The National Library of Poland, Warsaw
The Bibliotheca Baltica Symposium invites library professionals, researchers, practitioners, and policymakers to submit proposals for presentations at our upcoming symposium. The symposium, entitled “Past, Present and Future of the Shared Cultural Heritage in the Baltic Sea Region,” aims to explore the crucial role of libraries in preserving, promoting, and shaping the shared cultural heritage of the Baltic Sea region.
Bibliotheca Baltica, a library association representing libraries from across the Baltic Sea Region and beyond, recognizes the transformative power of libraries and their potential as drivers of regional collaboration, knowledge exchange, and cultural understanding. The symposium will provide a platform for library professionals to share their expertise, experiences, and future strategies in relation to shared cultural heritage in the Baltic Sea region.
We encourage participants to submit papers that address the following themes:
- Collaborative Approaches to Cultural Heritage: Showcasing the role of libraries, archives and museums in fostering the documentary cultural heritage of the Baltic Sea region
- Changing Research Landscapes: Examining the evolving status of Slavic and/or Soviet studies in the Baltic Sea region and the implications for library collections, resources, and services in the future
- Cultural Identity and Representation: Investigating how printing and publishing in exile has shaped and will shape the cultural identity and representation of individuals and communities, and exploring the role of libraries in ensuring access to and preservation of literatures in exile
- Future Strategies and Challenges: How libraries, archives and museums are addressing sustainability issues and embracing new approaches to ensure the longevity and accessibility of shared cultural heritage
- Interested applicants should submit an abstract of up to 300 words, along with a short biography by the 17th of March 2024. Please, indicate the chosen topic in your abstract.
- The proposals should clearly outline the aims, methodology, and expected contribution of the proposed presentation to the field of library activities and strategies.
- Presentations should be approximately 20 minutes in length, followed by a question and answer session.
- Submissions should be sent to the Secretary of Bibliotheca Baltica, Juergen Warmbrunn (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the subject line “Bibliotheca Baltica Symposium Submission.”
- Submission Deadline: 17th March 2024
- Notification of Acceptance: 12th April 2024
- Symposium Dates: 17th – 18th October 2024
We look forward to receiving your submissions and fostering a dynamic symposium that explores how libraries can play a central role in preserving and promoting the shared cultural heritage of the Baltic Sea region. Should you have any questions or inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us through our Secretary.